Old March 24th 05, 03:17 PM
Caveat Lector

"N1KI" wrote in message
We have skilled DX operators using state of the art equipment belting out
CW
at 40 wpm or better. Add a little atmospheric noise, some QSB and QRN
joining
in over a great distance and that 599 signal we are always reporting is
more
like a 339 in most places. Then add to that the megacycle cops and the
CQer's
and other assorted vermin who feel we won't adequately appreciate our
contact
without thier assistance to overcome. It's amazing that anybody can hear
anything. And how many of us can really copy 40 WPM? As I get older, I
see
more people are more concerned not with what they may be able to get but
by
what they can keep others from getting. It would be interesting to me to
know
how many of those trying so hard to wreck a frequency have already had a
good
contact with the entity. Any thoughts on this rambling subject?

Just my 2 IRC's worth.
I don't think there are very many trying to "wreck" the frequency, but it
only takes a few to really mess things up.
Such as the carrier throwers and the idiot that refuses to move off the DX
frequency (because he has a sked there every day)
Some cops mean well trying to get the numbnuts informed, but most just add
to the confusion.
And don't you love the big gun who makes the contact and sez "I worked u
yesterday and just wanted to see if I could break this pileup."

But over the last 30 years I don't see much change -- same o same o
But I guess that we ought to keep in mind that in any given pileup, there
are hundreds (sounds like thousands ?) of disciplined operators doing the
right thing.

As they sed in my Navy days, there is the ten percent that don't get the
word. And if they do -- don't understand it.

CL--
I doubt, therefore I might be !