Old October 3rd 03, 02:26 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article xK6fb.6955$%P2.2823@edtnps84, Gregg wrote:
I think you'll find a few free 200uF, 400V caps if you part out some old
monitors or AT-power supplies.

Most of those are 200V caps these days, I am sorry to report.

But, you can get standard 220 uF 450V caps in modern packages from Digi-Key,
1-800-DIGI-KEY. MUCH better high frequency performance than the old ones,
too. They are small enough that if you are worried about it looking original,
you can gut out the inside of one of the screw mount caps and solder the
modern cap inside, then put it back together with RTV and get something that
looks perfectly original but performs much better. And they are three or four
bucks.

Antique Electronics Supply has some screw-mount caps that they are having
someone produce for them, but they are not at all cheap. They also have
the old metal can twist-lock electrolytics from Mallory too. But they are
FAR more expensive, and they don't have the low ESR and low series inductance
of the modern designs.

DO NOT ever buy used electrolytics. Electrolytics do not age well, and old
NOS ones often have limited lifetimes.
--scott