Old March 25th 05, 06:37 PM
Michael A. Terrell

John Franklin wrote:

I worked in broadcasting too...........got tired of the heat from the big
jugs in the xmitter. He said he didn't like LCD...........would he prefer
LEDS that consume MORE current? I always liked the Collins r-390A recvr,
good box.

John

I worked around a 5 MW ERP TV station, No heat problems working on
the 130 KW Comark transmitter but it was a royal pain to flush the
cooling system and refill the antifreeze every year. Truck loads of
distilled bottled water in five gallon bottles because the well water at
the site was so hard. We used a cleaner called Tyglos (sp) to remove
any scaling from the plumbing but we had to keep it out of the three 65
KW Klystrons. We had to drain the system, disconnect the tubes and
bypass them then flush the system. I bought some fiberglass duct board
to put around the heat exchanger and used a "Salamander" heater to bring
the system up to normal temperature so the cleaner would work.

I have a National NC-183R on the bench right now to rebuild. Its a
better radio than either of the Radio Shack DX-300 or DX-375 radios but
I can't use it when the power lines are down after a hurricane. So, I
keep the DX-375 and a Sony SRF-49 around for the hurricane season.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida