Old March 26th 05, 02:55 AM
KU4YP

no,

you are not alone. LCD displays and seemingly endless sub menus have
kept me from purchasing newer gear.

the most hi tech piece of gear in the shack here is a kenwood ts-940
and a ts-711-a. other than that, it has tubes in it. one rig i regret
selling is the kenwood ts-830. simplicity at it's finest. it's all on
the front panel.

i have listened several times on 75 meters to people "tuning" the
modern rigs. mostly, the yeasu ft-1000 whatever series. it must be my
poor ears because i can not tell that much of a difference on ssb from
the newer stuff to the older. kenwoods have always had great ssb audio.
but if i am in the mood to listen to great audio, i tune in the 80 meter
AM crowd and listen to them on my hammarlund receiver.

everyone's millage varies, i suppose. i had a chance to purchase a icom
756 pro for what i thought was a reasonable price. when i began
researching the rig, i found that not only were the lcd screens prone to
failure, you could not get replacement screens for them. too much of a
crap shoot for me with people wanting 800 +/- for them.

i have several friends with lcd screen rigs. between the screen and the
menus, i'd rather keep what i have.

best 73 mike ku4yp