Old March 25th 05, 10:51 PM
Hal Rosser

"Hal Rosser" wrote in message
.. .

"ke6cqk" wrote in message
Is there a good way to connect a 2 meter radio to an antenna on a
nearby hill without using a cable? The radio is down in a small
valley with bad propogation and putting the antenna about 1,000 feet
away should work. Thanks.

You can make a "passive repeater". This requires 2 directional antennas.
At the top of the hill, hook up both antennas (to each other) and aim one

at
"the world" or the repeater
and aim the other at your house. run a cable between them.

When they built the Georgia Railroad Bank Bldg in Augusta (years ago) the
phone company had to install a passive repeater on it because the building
interrupted line-of-sight for a microwave shot.

I've never tried this myself, but I've heard that the technique is very
useful in mountain terrain.

To continue - I recall an article (I believe it was in QST) that described
using 2 rhombic antennas (uhf) at a mountain top. One was pointed to a
distant repeater, and the other was directed into the valley where they
could 'finally' hear and talk to the repeater.