Old March 26th 05, 03:17 AM
Dee Flint

"GeorgeF" wrote in message
.net...
How are the rest of the CW operators dealing with all the SSB that is
showing up in the 40 meter CW portion of the band?

Here it is the weekend and there's some contest going on and there is more
SSB in the CW portion of the band then there is SSB in the SSB portion of
the band. What gives with this?

On HF I'm a 99% CW operator, only been licensed about a year and love CW,
don't care much for SSB. But I'm starting to wonder why I paid $1800 for
a Yaesu FT-1000Mk V Field as it looks like I won't be able to use it for
what I bought it for this weekend...

Help
George

For the 40m band, the rest of the world has very different allocations from
the US. They are (for now) limited to 7.100 and below. However over the
next several years, they will be allowed to go up to 7.200.

What this means is that they other regions of the world operate SSB where we
are limited to CW. Most of the time this isn't a problem but there are
about 4 weekends per year where they do pretty much occupy the band.

If you look around though, there will still be CW ops down in the 40m CW to
work. Or try the old Novice portion from 7.100 to 7.150 as some of the
FISTS members monitor a frequency in their (check the FISTS website for
exact frequency) and you can pick up a ragchew there.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE