Old March 27th 05, 12:44 AM
M.S.

This is ENCRYPTED, not just digital audio. For encryption you have to have
the user's system encryption keys, which it isn't likely you'll get. If it
was as easy as you say, we'd all be monitoring the FBI, DEA, Secret Service,
etc.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok...here's a random thought for that media outlet...if anyone wants to
forward it to them...

Find out what type of system it is, and BUY RADIOS FOR THE SYSTEM. When
my city went encrypted, I went out and got a Motorola XTS3000 and
progged it for the local system. My radio worked just fine.

Must be a small market TV station if they didn't think of this.

wrote:
No it doesn't. Try walking around with a pistol in open view, while

not
having a carry permit. The Constitution does not allow me to yell

fire in a
theater (The classic argument). There is no 1st Amendment issue

here.
Before there were scanners or tunable receivers in the police bands;
newspapers, radio and TV reporters made beat calls. They called the

desk
Sergeant in each precinct and asked what's up? Or they camped out at

the
precinct. They'll just have to go back to that method.

Here is an excerpt from the ECPA
(e) (i) intentionally discloses, or endeavors to disclose, to any

other
person the contents of any wire, oral, or electronic communication,
intercepted by means authorized by sections 2511(2)(A)(ii),

2511(b)-(c),
2511(e), 2516, and 2518 of this subchapter, (ii) knowing or having

reason to
know that the information was obtained through the interception of

such a
communication in connection with a criminal investigation, (iii)

having
obtained or received the information in connection with a criminal
investigation, and (iv) with intent to improperly obstruct, impede,

or
interfere with a duly authorized criminal investigation, shall be

punished
as provided in subsection (4) or shall be subject to suit as provided

in
subsection (5).

Yeah, yeah. You'll argue that they are not interfering with an
investigation. That distinction is open to the officers at the

scene. TV
cameras can incite riotous behavior.

Another excerpt
"(16) 'readily accessible to the
general public' means, with respect
to a radio communication, that such
communication is not---
"(A)scrambled or encrypted;
"(B)transmitted using modulation techniques whose essential

parameters
have been withheld from the public with the intention of preserving

the
privacy of such communication;....."

APCO P-25, DES, 3DES and other scrmabling techniques are not

"readily"
available to the public; as conventional AM, FM or TV. Only to those

that
seek them out or reverse engineer them. Reverse engineering is

another
illegal activity.
The TV station might win or they might not. Remember what happened

to the
couple that taped Newt Gingrich's cell phone call and then disclosed

it?
Arrested, tried, fined.
SO take you purple finger and keep switching it from your a** to your

mouth.
You'll figure it out.