Old March 27th 05, 07:06 AM

GeorgeF wrote:
How are the rest of the CW operators dealing with all the SSB that is

showing up in the 40 meter CW portion of the band?

Here it is the weekend and there's some contest going on and there is

more SSB in the CW portion of the band then there is SSB in the SSB
portion of the band. What gives with this?

It's the CQ WW SSB WPX contest weekend and all hell has broken loose
worldwide. It'll go away at zero Zulu Sunday nite. In the meanwhile go
diddle on 30M to get away from 'em.

On HF I'm a 99% CW operator, only been licensed about a year and love

CW, don't care much for SSB. But I'm starting to wonder why I paid
$1800 for a Yaesu FT-1000Mk V Field as it looks like I won't be able

use it for what I bought it for this weekend...

Help

The Field comes with factory-supplied 250 & 500 Hz filters of unknown
parentage. You should be able to cut down the SSB sigs to something
close to a survivable level with either. Maybe. But I dunno. I've never
listened with a Field. But for certain they're not the best filters out
there by any means. Click into:

http://www.qth.com/inrad/yae_menu.htm

For some really good CW filters for your Field. The 400 Hz 703-C is a
good compromise between "SSB crud reduction" and missing ops calling
you. I have it's equivalent in my little $1,250 FT-847 crapper and it
WORKs. Take it to the next level and get yourself one of INRAD's 250 Hz
704-C filters. Might be a bit too narrow though. To each their own.

You're new and in the right direction. Stick with it George, you're on
a very steep slope of a learning curve (assuming you're not just
another troll of course). It'll all come together eventually.

George

w3rv