Old March 27th 05, 02:01 PM
Daniel J. Morlan

Default More on Shortwave Receivers... DX'ing, etc.

I enjoy shortwave very much when I have the time, and living in Indianapolis
now, I can receive a LOT more stations on just the whip antenna of my
BayGen. I sold my Sangean ATS-909 and a few other radios that I didn't use
so much so that I could buy the Satellit 800. I will miss the compact
nature of the 909, but I'm bound to buy the Eton E1 when it comes out to
fulfill THOSE wants, but I eventually want to get to some "serious DX'ing".

I wanted the Satellit 800 because I thought if I put a good enough antenna
on it, I'd have one heckuva "tabletop" shortwave radio that could catch some
good AM signal as well. Now that I'll be getting this Satellit 800 within a
day or two, my next mission is getting the "best" antenna I can for it.

I am a ham, but not as knowledgeable as I need to be as far as antennas go,
and technical expertise. I'm mostly versed on the etiquette, and code of
ham radio. I don't transmit at all if I can't transmit clearly enough to be
read well, etc... (I digress).

For now, I'd like to "soup up" my Satellit 800, and get a really good
antenna for it. (The best for the money, in other words.) And while I could
probably find this information online (which I will do) I always appreciate,
and have appreciated the feedback I got from you folks in times past. I
look back at my archive questions, and I laugh my head off.
(Hysterically.)

Thanks very much, guys, for your suggestions, and experience in this regard.
I'm made more radio savvy with every question answered, and I'll find myself
not having to make the mistakes often made by those who have to do
everything themselves. (I'm a bit nervous that I sold my 909. I loved that
radio, but wanted something better performance-wise.) I'll buy one back on
eBay if I end up disappointed. That 909 was a beautiful radio.

73's, WW6DJM

Daniel

(P.S. For those of you who might be a little miffed about my having a
vanity call being so inexperienced. Understand that it's my reflection of
being proud ,and excited about ham radio. Not an ego trip. When I ask
questions, it's because I want to try and be the best I can be. My callsign
has actually rubbed a few people the wrong way, and I can never fully
understand why.)

Best regards,

Dan