Old March 28th 05, 02:49 AM
Joe S.

"nitespark" wrote in message
news:StG1e.67555$7z6.58474@lakeread04...
Some of the old rectifiers had a blue glow to them.

And they flickered as you talked because the current load on the power
supply changed with the modulation -- sort of like an aurora display right
there on the floor. On the floor because the power supply was too damn
heavy to sit on the desk.

Modulation is a whole 'nother thread.

SR wrote:
And the neophyte asked...

Blue glow? I thought all vacuum tubes glowed orange at best. What's
happening to cause the tube to run so hot?

SR

"Joe S." wrote in message

Am I the only one who still likes radios with tubes and dial strings?

And
rectifiers that glow blue? And big ol' transformers that keep your

coffee
warm?

--

-----