Old March 27th 05, 11:22 PM
Jim

cl wrote:

"KØHB" wrote in message
. net...

"Rabbi Phil" wrote in message

"Why aren't young people interested in ham radio"?

Hi Phil,

That's certainly a topic worthy of discussion.

You could start a thread if you liked, but my question is related to
simplex calling frequencies, not why Johnnie didn't pass the amateur exam.

72.5, de Hans, K0HB

When I went to reply before, the message was sent by a slip of the hand,
faster than I had intended. I can't speak for all, but I know myself -
around here, there used to be a group who didn't like repeaters, so - they
talked on Simplex. Many of them have since moved away from the area and
apart from each other - to be able to do FM simplex. Maybe they still talk
on h.f., I don't know. Many operate simplex when they're close by and don't
wish their conversation broadcast over many miles - such as a husband and
wife - where the wife may be shy and not care to use repeaters as often.
Still, you have the "repeater" clubs, where the members tend to congregate
on the repeater frequencies more so than Simplex. Then too... with amateur
radio "seeming" to drift downward in popularity (one reason the youth aren't
involved), there are fewer to listen to simplex. Fewer on repeaters as well.
These may be some of the reasons simplex isn't so busy. Even the repeaters
around here don't seem so active as they once were. Is it because of
computers? I doubt it - though it is possible. I think it is that people are
more hurried in life to make a living and to enjoy any fragments of time
with their families anymore - to take the time to enjoy a hobby which may
have been once endearing and is now more so a dust collecting hobby.

I've not been on any repeaters myself for about a year or more. I've not
been on H.F. either. Just don't seem to find the time for it much anymore.
Too busy doing other things. That is sad, considering I was "very" involved
in it. I suppose, once you get out of the habit, it is hard to get back into
it. Actually, it feels good not toting a radio everywhere, even a small one.
A cell phone is more than enough. When I do my other job, I have a radio
with me. I don't care to look like Batman with a utility belt and a hundred
radios. I carry only what I need.

I'm sure there are myriads of reasons why folks don't talk Simplex. Just as
there are for no one taking exams anymore - never mind - passing it.

cl

The only simplex that I hang out on is 144.2 USB.
Heck, all the repeaters around here use a tone, and I don't have a tone
capable radio

" HAM AND EGGS -- A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for
a pig."