Old October 7th 03, 05:18 PM
Mike Knudsen

In article , (Scott Dorsey)
writes:

Let's say you have a beam power tube that was used on an amplifier with
a screen grid supply problem, and the screen grid drew current and burned
completely away. There's nothing left any more.

Agreed. Worse yet, a 6146 that got overdriven and the control grid has bruned
away. No gain at all, but good emission.

But I did ask "other than physical abuse", and maybe "electrical abuse" should
have been included as well. Is it possible for a non-abused (in any way) tube
to lose gain and performance, while its emission remains good?

Not including gas, which I believe the cheap tube testers can catch.

BTW, I once owned a little grid emission tester, whihc I have seen mentioned
here once or twice. Grid emission will kill your AGC line. --Mike K.

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.