Old July 15th 03, 10:26 PM
Dr. Slick

W5DXP wrote in message ...
Dr. Slick wrote:
The funny thing about this, is that you cannot say that the 50
Ohms in the center of the chart is a "resistive" 50 Ohms, as there is
very little real resistance in the average antenna.

From the IEEE Dictionary: "resistance (1)(B) The real part of impedance."

Apparently, all the resistance in the average antenna is real. :-)
--

You misunderstand my point, Cecil.

If the antenna is tuned correctly, the "radiation" resistance is a
real 50 Ohms, with the V and I waveforms IN PHASE. But, my point is
that you can take a DC measurement anywhere on the ideal lossless
antenna and you will never see 50 Ohms anywhere, only shorts.

Ideally, the antenna never heats up, and has no resistive losses.
This is not to say that it won't have a "radiation" resistance of 50
Ohms at the resonant, tuned frequency. And to a transmitter at the
resonant frequency, this will electrically appear to be the same thing
as an ideal dummy load of 50 Ohms.

Roy's message has clarified a few things.

Slick