Old March 29th 05, 01:09 PM
Scott

I auume these thing work in reverse of conventional thinking. I assume
that as long as the receiver is receiving a signal, the dog does not get
shocked. If it strays too far and the receiver loses the signal...ZAP!
However, modifying the transmitter would violate its Part 15
certification and the owner might be the one to get the ZAP (from the
FCC)...

Scott

On 2005-03-28, Albert wrote:

Hi Richard,

We live in the country, and have all kinds of room for the dog to run.
Despite the fact that we are 700 feet from the road, the dog insists
on going to the road and chasing cars. We are worried for the dogs
safety, hence we purchased the 'wireless fence'.

The design has quite a few safeguards in it and it is very well
thought out.

BUT, it has a 90 foot maximum range. I'd like to extend the range out
to 300 or 400 feet without spending alot of time and money. The
solution offered by the manufacturer is to purchase an additional
transmitter and run them both at the same time. This is a very
expensive remedy and it only gives a modest increase in the range.

My 'goal' is to have an increased range so the beagle can have a
little more area to run in while keeping her away from the road.

I might be missing something here, but wouldnt increasing the range of the
transmitter/antenna combination reduce the amount of room that the dog has
to run in? Increasing the range, would trigger the collar when the pup was
farther away from the perimeter - confining the pooch to a smaller area.

What is the design of the reciever on the dogs collar? You don't have to
increase the range of the transmitter, you could just increase the
sensitivity of the receiver. If the xmitter is really running at about
17khz, then a 1/4 wave whip (about 2.75 miles) attached to the dogs collar
might work. If that does not work, you could at least reel the dog in when
she gets a bit too close to the road.