Old March 30th 05, 07:20 AM
Chuck

Default TM-741A Problem

I have a TM-741A tribander with 50/144/450 modules installed. The unit was
inactive for several years, but was working great at the time of last
usage - no problems whatsoever.

I recently tried to put it back on the air and when I applied power and
pressed the power switch "-on-" was displayed in the center of the display
and the three band control LED's were lit red.

After that, pressing the power switch repeatedly had no effect -- the unit
would not turn off until I shut off the power supply. No other switches or
combination of switches had any effect. The only thing I can get to work is
the display test (F+MHz+Power On) after shutting off the power supply,
letting the unit sit un-powered for a while, then applying power and
pressing that key combination.

While the display test is up, if the VFO switch is pressed the display test
ends and a "0" appears in the band A area of the display. This remains
until the unit is powered down and re-powered.

If the unit is powered down while the display is "-on-" and powered up again
within a minute or so, the unit powers bacj up to the "-on-" display without
touching the power on button.

I found the two solder-in lithium batteries to be dead. One battery is for
the display unit, the other is for the control unit. I replaced both
batteries with new Kenwood part numbered batteries, which now check good
in-circuit. The symptoms described above did not change after replacing the
batteries.

I'm stumped. I was looking for some sort of physical master reset switch
on the control board, but found nothing. I tried all of the switch
combinations listed for various memory reset functions with no change in
symptoms. The service manual is of little help -- does not cover any
troubleshooting or battery replacement procedures.

Anyone have any helpful thoughts (other than sending it to Kenwood for
repair - my next step)???

Thanks
Chuck W9BIK