Old March 30th 05, 03:38 PM
William Mutch

In article Znq2e.72425$7z6.14508@lakeread04, says...

"William Mutch" wrote
Propagation on the 90
meter band was among the best I've ever heard last night, so I went down
to 120 meters where I dont usually hear anything.

From upstate New York with a 156' antenna, you don't copy anything in the
marine band from 2182 KHz on up?

I was refering only to international broadcasts on the 120 meter
"tropical" band. Last night, 0403z to 0409z there was *something,*
two male voices in Spanish with music interluded *way* down in the
grass, 2x3, on 2440.0 khz with my Sat 800 on the same antenna. Wicked
QRN.

I listen a lot to the 2 mhz marine traffic as I'm something of a
USCG fan as a result of being the originating station of a mayday on
2182 in Cheasapeake Bay in 1977. Coast Gaurd Radio Annapolis and a
crash boat crew out of Easton MD busted butt to help me get medical evac
of a man overboard. Marine band traffic can be really interesting.

They are fairly active along the entire
Eastern seaboard from the Canadian Maritimes to San Juan, Puerto Rico. I've
worked a SAR case 1600 miles out on the Atlantic on half the antenna you
have.

Try:

Coast Transmit Ship Transmit

2514 2118 (Canada)