Old March 30th 05, 09:27 PM

Jim,

I have owned both the GE SRIII and the Grundig S350. After receiving
the Grundig S350, I sold the GE.

The Grundig S350 is fantastic, ESPECIALLY on the low end of the AM
(medium wave) band. Exceptional sensitivity AND selectivity. I live
in central California and wanted to get 610 KFRC from San Francisco,
about 200 miles from me. The S350 beat everything else I have,
including the Grundig Satellit 800, the Panasonic RF-2200, the CCRadio,
and the GE SRIII. The SR350 was the only one that could eliminate a
strong signal from 620, and could normally due it even with the wide
band filter by rotating the radio. When conditions are such that the
wide filter doesn't eliminate all of 620, I merely use the narrow
filter. Although the Satellit 800 could eliminate signals on 620 by
using selectable sideband sync detection, sensitivity wasn't good
enough without using an external antenna.

After receiving the S350 I not only sold the GE, but also sold the
Panasonic RF-2200 as the S350 proved to produce better reception except
on FM. The Panasonic really shines on FM.

The Grundig S350 is also very sensitive on FM. Not as selective as I
would like, but it still beats the SRIII.

The dial on the SRIII was way off on my set. I much prefer the S350
digital readout, which I find on my set to be exactly as it shows.
Drift on MW is minimal.

The GE, with it's larger and two-speaker system, of course has the best
sound. But the S350 sounds great for its size.

Sensitivity on the GE and the S350 are probably about the same. But
selectivity is much better on the S350. The narrow bandwidth really
works great on both MW and SW.

The S350 does overload on strong signals, but it has a variable RF
control. I have found you need patience when using the RF control as
you can also eliminate a lot of interference using it.

The S350 is on sale at NormThompson.com for $74.50. It is the best buy
I've ever made on a radio (I paid the full retail price), and I might
mention it is a lot of fun to play with. I use the alarm feature on
the radio which really comes in handy.

There is NO question in my mind -- the Grundig S350 is TOPS for the
price. Even beats the Grundig YB400 on shortwave because the S350 has
a near zero noise level, so signals covered up with hissing sounds on
the YB400 are crystal clear on the S350.