Old March 31st 05, 04:46 AM
Telamon

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In article
. edu,
William Mutch wrote:

In article ,
says...

William Mutch wrote:

Last night, 28 Mar. 0350z to signoff at 0400z
Radio Voice of
Vietnam, s3r3 between heavy QRMN on NC125 with 156 ft off
center feed antenna in upstate New York. Male and female
voices talking (Vietnamese?) way down in noise until
signoff in English. Frequency slighly down band from
2.400...estimate 2385.
Does this correlate to any published schedule and
frequency. If
so was it direct from Hanoi or a relay ?

I'd say you have an image problem with your receiver. What
are you using?

Hollow state boatanchor National NC-125, recently
realined with
HP-8646B sig gen.
2385+455 = 2840...probably not an image. 2385/2 =
1193... call
it 1190...possible 2nd harmonic of domestic US Vietnamese
station, but Google seach on domestics didn't find anything
near that, and the signoff was definately RVoVietnam. QRMN
from forced air, gas fired home heating ignition made
listening really tough, but the signal had some QSB and
sounded *really* far off and multibounce. Propagation on the
90 meter band was among the best I've ever heard last night,
so I went down to 120 meters where I dont usually hear
anything. I was unable to Google any time/freq listings for
RVoVietnam...just propaganda about programming. If I'd been
using the Sat800 I'd at least know the exact freq, but I was
just band cruising with the bedside NC-125.

http://www.vov.org.vn/docs1/english/index.html

VOV 2: Economic, Social, Cultural and Education programmes
over medium and short waves on frequencies of (549, 558, 702,
729, 738, 783 and 1089)kHz and (9875, 5925, 6020)kHz with a
daily airtime of 18 hours.

Maybe a harmonic from 1089 KHz or an image in your receiver
from it?

My guess is that somehow the receiver was picking up the relay
out of Sackville... They still using 6175?

A harmonic from 1089...? How would it propagate? At least so as
to be audible where he heard it, frequency wise.

Just grasping at straws. My best shot is the transmitter had a 2X
or 3X spur.

The web page lists 6165 on VOV4.

They broadcast on a number of medium wave and short wave
frequencies. If this is at the same transmitter site maybe they
have a mixing problem.

Yes, I understand that... but the question would still be then how
would it propagate if the mixing product was from a transmitter site
in Vietnam? At that time there is no darkness path from Vietnam to
his receiving site to facilitate reception on that frequency.

Well that settles it then.

I'm still betting on Sackville... and a receiver fault.

I didn't know that they relayed VOV but if they do then it would be a
much more reasonable explanation.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California