Old August 30th 03, 06:38 PM
W5DXP

W5DXP wrote:

wrote:
So are you saying that like charge does not repel?

No, I'm not saying that at all. In fact, there may not be any charges
crossing the NET voltage = zero point and there doesn't have to be for
energy to be flowing in both directions.

This does seem to be the sticking point, doesn't it.

There is no sticking point. It is all explained in _Fields_and_Waves_...
by Ramo, Whinnery, and Van Duzer. It is also explained in _Optics_,
by Hecht.

If you find an error in the above derivation, I will happily allow
you that energy flows in both directions.

That a forward Poynting vector and a reflected Poynting vector exists
is not enough for you? Here's my argument analogous to yours:

My GMC pickup is white. Until you can prove my GMC pickup is not white,
your argument is invalid. Your above argument is just as irrelevant
as the color of my pickup.

Actually, I am not confused by NET at all. I contend that NET is the
only thing of importance when determining if energy flows.

What about the forward Poynting vector and the reflected Poynting vector?
Net is the thing to consider if all you are worried about is net energy.
Net doesn't hack it when you take a look at the forward and reflected
Poynting vectors.

How can you tell whether it reflected, or flowed through?
The look and feel will be the same.

Not exactly. Each Tsunami has its own modulation signature. Many, many
experiments over hundreds of years have proved that waves flow right
through each other.

Similarly for transmission lines at points where v(t) * i(t) is always
0 and, from the web page, apparently for light as well.

You really believe that the energy in a bright interference ring is
trapped between the dark rings by some magical force that exists in
your mind? You really need to read the superposition and interference
chapters in _Optics_.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp