Old April 3rd 05, 11:15 PM
Richard Harrison

Richard Fry wrote:
"---range from about 690 mV/m for a 0.05 wavelength vertical to about
641 mV/m for a 0.625 wavelength vertical.

On page 871 of the 1955 edition of Terman`s "Electronics and Radio
Engineering" is Table 23-1, "Directive Gain of Simple Antennas Relative
to Isotropic Radiator".

The directive gain of an elementary doublet, assumed to be
infinitesimally short, is given as 1.5. A resonant 1/2-wave wire is
given a gain of 1.64 in the same table.

Terman says on page 870:
"Directive gain depends entirely on the distribution in space of
radiated power."

So, the miniscule doublet puts 1.5 x as much power in its best direction
as does an isotropic. This is 1.76 dBi according to Kraus.

From Terman`s dB table on page 8, a power gain of 1.5 is a little less
than 2 dB gain. Kraus says 1.76 dB. A power ratio of 1.64 is more tha 2
dB, but less than 2.5 dB gain. The gain difference between a tiny dipole
and a 1/2-wave dipole is almost insignificant. Certainly it is less than
1 dB.

Kraus`s 3rd edition of "Antennas" has Figure 6-2 pn page 192 which gives
gains of common antennas:

An isotropic (uncommon) has a directivity of h1.00, and a gain of 0 dBi.

An elementary dipole has a directivity of 1.5, and a gain of 1.76 dBi.

a 1/2-wave dipole has a directivity of 1.64 and a gain of 2.15 dBi

A short monopole gas a directivity of 3 and a gain of 4.8 dBi.

A 1/4-wave monopole has a directivity of 3.28 and a gain of 5.2 dBi.

A 1/2-wave monopole has a directivity of 4.8 and a gain of 6,8 dBi.

With specific gain figures, we don`t need to characterize figures as
large or small. I just hope I copied them correctly. Better yet, get
your own copy of Kraus. It`s in print and well worth the price.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI