Old April 4th 05, 04:35 AM
Bob Haberkost

wrote in message
oups.com...
|a "subscription" to AC power or a "subscription" to batteries!

| TANSTAAFL.

| Jim

| TANSTAAFL? I had to look that one up! "There ain't no such thing as a
| free lunch."

| Anyway, if you can't find an AM or shortwave radio that works without a
| subscription to XM, there's something very, very wrong. I have lots of
| radios, and while they do require batteries or AC power, not one--and I
| mean not a single one--requires a subscription to XM.

Here's the thing, though....I have a lot of radios, too, and it's very rare that
ANY of them are worth turning on, considering when I listen, a problem which is
even more pronounced when I travel. So, to have the choices I want, and in a
way no different than the magazines, newspapers, satellite TV and other services
I pay for, satellite radio is the means I use to (legally!) acquire the
programming I will listen to. And, as TANSTAAFL suggests, your "free" radio
isn't really "free", either.
Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by
evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." -- Justice
Brandeis
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-