Old April 4th 05, 06:53 PM
John Smith

J:

College was and is a great institution.
However, the most valuable professors/instructors I ever had the pleasure to
study under seemed to share one common element--they had all first worked in
private enterprise before entering the academic professions (scouting rounds
a guy out!)
My first degree was in electronic engineering. When the focus of this
seemed to move off shore and other employment opportunities became available
(and the Apple, then the IBM PC, came to be), I returned to college and
focused my attention in the field of computer science.
Being an older student at that time and possessing a bit of "street-smarts",
I was able to side step issues which I had found NOT be in "vogue" of my
instructors beliefs.
Although these institutions are a great forum for debate and argument--I was
able to see little value in endangering my grades with such which would be
contrary to my instructors favorite pet ideas (indeed, while in their
classrooms, they all thought--I thought, they were the most handsome (or
beautiful--if female) and gifted instructor(s) I ever had the pleasure to
study under grin.)
Some instructors are quick to point out, "There are NO dumb questions, just
dumb people who don't ask questions."
However, although they may state the above--following their own advice
seemed to be a bit more of a challenge to many of them and, some were better
in the implementation of that ideal than others; somehow, it left me with
the opinion that a more accurate translation to this advice would have been,
"If you don't agree with me and the course material I have chosen for this
course--YOU WILL PAY!"
But, I make no mistake--I am humbly indebted to ALL instructors for their
time and efforts--I value all who lives I touched in those hallowed halls.
To this day, I do work with encryption/decryption methods and protocols.
Frequently I employ another questionable practice--security through
obscurity; this fills my dreams with seemingly psychic visions of past
instructors cringing in dark corners in loathing contempt and fear of such
arcane and cheap methods...

Rather frequently I utter (under my breath), "Whatever works!" guilty
smile

Warmest regards,
John

--
Hay, if'n ya'll cun't konstructivly partecipete in this har disscusion, haw
aboot speel-checkin it fer me?

"J. Mc Laughlin" wrote in message
Well "John Smith," wherever and whoever you are, you are receiving
valuable
advice from several quarters.
Our students are required to use top-down programming in computer
engineering and in computer science classes. If your professors did not
convince you of its importance, far be it for me to try.

Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home: