Old April 5th 05, 12:34 AM
Joe Analssandrini

Hello.

As others have said, you are comparing apples and oranges. That said,
do buy the Sony ICF-SW7600GR. You can get it for about $130.00. In my
opinion, no better small portable shortwave radio is currently being
made. You won't regret the purchase.

Let the ICOM IC-R3 go. Much of its cost is for television circuitry;
the current television standard is due to be phased out within a few
years rendering that scanner somewhat obsolete. There are other scanner
radios available which work as well and sell for similar or less money,
including some from ICOM.

Suggestion: if buying a scanner, consider buying from a Canadian or
English dealer so you will get a "cellular-UNblocked" receiver. I
personally find the cellular frequency restriction law in this country
to be an onerous intrusion on our rights. (The only other two countries
that have such restrictions are, I believe, Saudi Arabia and North
Korea!)

As always, the above are my opinions only.

Best,

Joe