Old April 5th 05, 07:48 PM

"§ Dr. Artaud §" wrote:

wrote in
:

Thanks for the link.

Perhaps you can help me with something? I see that the site that you
provided the link for sells cabling for the Yaesu FRG-100 and the Yaesu
FT-840, and I need both cables. (you probably just got them 2 sales)

I know that my Icom R-75 has the ability to connect via the CAT or the
Serial Port. The Yaesu radios only have the ability to connect via their
CAT ports (i.e. that have no conventional serial ports). If I bought
these cables, would I be able to directly connect my Yaesu radios to the
computer, without additional signal level conversion?

Found on HRD site.
READ THIS NOW BEFORE GOING ANY FURTHER!
There are many problems that a newcomer can come across while
trying to set up both CAT and Audio interfaces: I’ll try to help you
avoid the most common problems.
CAT INTERFACE PROBLEMS
1. Ham Radio Deluxe displays the error Access Denied.
Some previously accessed software will cause problems for
the operating system by holding a comport open, thus
denying your CAT interface access.
Only one program can open a comport at a same time.
PDA / GSM software is one example. The simplest way to
deal with this is a reboot: the offending program will no
longer have control over the port.
2. Some notebook serial ports can’t supply enough current
and/or voltage to operate homemade interface cables that
rely on the serial port for power. You will have to either
make up an interface to a different design, or use external
power.
3. Ground loops can be a problem. Fully isolated interfaces are
probably the only real option here. Taking all precautions to
avoid ground loops should be a matter of course.
AUDIO INTERFACE PROBLEMS
1. Probably the most common causes of problems are
overdriving the rig, and ground loops. Avoiding ground loops
is generally not too difficult if you use isolated input and
outputs. See the circuit of the homebrew interface in the
AUDIO INTERFACING chapter to see how it can be done.
Under no circumstances should you use un-isolated
connections: they lead to ground loops, and will in all
probability introduce hum and other unwanted artifacts on
your signal. One disadvantage of using a waterfall display is
that you can see the other guy’s filthy signal – but not your
own. I know that some people get away with it – but the
risk just isn’t worth it.
2. Overdriving the rig will lead to splatter and deformed
signals. Good operators do not splatter! There’s a very
useful little gadget called the PSKMeter that can be obtained
from http://www.ssiserver.com/info/pskmeter/ .
This makes it impossible to overdrive your rig, yet obtain
maximum clean output at all times. I use one myself – it’s
ideal. The only drawback is that it requires a serial port: this
can be a problem with notebooks and the like – but see the
next chapter for more info.
Hope this helps.