Old April 7th 05, 02:43 AM
Cmd Buzz Corey

RST Engineering wrote:

Our Sierra Community College ham station is starting to come together. We
graduated our first two enthusiastic student hams last month, and the three
hams on staff have come by a 2-meter TM-261, a homebrew low power 2-meter
repeater, and a 1296 video repeater. We ought to have enough student hams
by the end of the Spring Semester to form the Club.

We have a creaky old Yaesu vacuum tube HF transceiver that was donated to
us, but it is way too large for the small space allocated to us by the
department (and since it was donated, we can't sell it to buy something
else). I've been using a TS-130 here at the home station for the last 20
years and find it perfectly adequate for the occasional HF CW or SSB contact
using a Telex 80-10 vertical.

However, everything else that we have works from a 12 volt supply, and we
have a limitless supply of 12 volt batteries courtesy of the local phone
company's surplus out-of-code-date junkyard.

I don't mind buying a decent HF rig for the school (no, I'm not asking for
your charity) but the stuff on ebay seems to be a bit overpriced. I also
don't mind donating my extra Telex vertical to the cause.

Anybody got a decent solid state (12 volt) HF rig that they would be willing
to sell to me for a reasonable price?

Jim
WX6RST

Not sure I understand why you want to run the HF rig from 12 volt
battery power. Even with a good supply of batteries a 100 watt rig will
run them down pretty quick so you will spend a lot of time changing
batteries.