Old April 7th 05, 01:43 AM
Vinnie S.

On 6 Apr 2005 14:07:26 -0700, wrote:

I want to use a mobile cb antenna on my house. I have mounting
brackets and already have the power converted. I need a way to use my
mobile 3/8 flex antenna outside and have an attiquate ground plane to
keep my swr down. I saw a "tristar" on the internet which said it
acted as a ground plane. I have not gotten an answer yet, but
hopefully I will. I do not want to buy an no ground plane antenna
because I will eventually move my old antenna to my truck when I get
one. What can I use as a ground plane, and spending minimal amount of
money.

Thanks in advance

Greg,

Let me answer you because someone will most likely start mocking you at some
point. I just stuck a 6 foot Firestik in the attic. This information comes from
advice I got here. Most of the people here agree on 9 foot wire or tube. Wire is
cheaper, tube is easier. Use a minimum of 3 radials, preferably 4. I might have
pictures if you want them (I have to look). The only problem with wire is it is
not rigid, and you have to tie it down. If you have some old copper tubing, or
such that would work. But don't buy it, it's expensive. I guess some Romex wire
would be rigid enough.

This setup worked well for me for some DX. I hit Mexico, Alabama, on it. Didn't
work great for locals. I am in the country. If you are in the city, or suburbs,
you might do better for locals. So because of that, I am getting ready to
install an Imax.

Vinnie S.