Old April 7th 05, 03:53 AM
Michael A. Terrell

starman wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

The "F" connectors are 75 ohm impedance.

Technically true for VHF and UHF but not that important for MW or HF
reception. I use R6U coax (75-ohm) for my HF antenna lead.

Having worked in TV broadcast and with critical telemetry video, it
does matter in a lot of applications at these frequencies. Use what you
want, but I prefer to use the proper connectors for the application, and
"F" connectors are not known for high reliability. When I ran the
repair facility for United Video one of my jobs was to test sample
connectors. A high percentage of "F" connectors didn't pass the basic
tests. They were flimsy, had bad swages between the parts and poor
plating. LIke some beautiful samples we got. They passed every test
except plating. They were un-plated brass that corroded just from body
oils.
--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell