Old April 7th 05, 01:53 PM
Dave Hall

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 18:14:13 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

If you read the ARRL manual sometime you might learn that the hobby
comprises a little bit more than hooking up prefab components. But if
you want to waste your money and learn nothing about the hobby then
that's your choice, just like it's your choice to put me in your
killfile (LOL!).

There are a lot of ham appliance operators. While it smacks at the
original intended purpose of the service, there's nothing expressly
prohibited about it. There are also those guys who are subject matter
experts on one facet of the hobby, and who know very little about
others. Such is the nature of such a multi-faceted service.

And if part of the
hobby is to learn about radio comm, why ask a CB group for tech info
when there are countless resources available for hams?

Because the Imax, is for my CB, and this is a CB group.

So does that mean a CB antenna operates on different priciples than a
ham antenna?

I can't speak for Lancer, but I know there are many people who think
that people should do their -own- homework. It's just plain lazy for
you, a General Class amateur, to hop on a CB group and ask if your
antenna needs a ground plane, especially when you can take five
minutes to learn -by yourself- what they are, what they do, and
whether your antenna needs one or not. Did you even read the
instructions that came with the antenna? Sheesh.

A few things.

First off, despite what this group has devolved into in the last few
years, it originally was a place to discuss experiences with different
aspects of radio. It's one thing to read a 2-dimensional book about a
subject. It's another thing to actually talk with people who have
"been there and done that". Tapping that experience is far more
rewarding than generalized book comments.

I would also be skeptical about the antenna's instructions. The
company has a pecuniary interest in promoting "accessories" which have
questionable value from a performance standpoint.

Remember that the paper never refuses ink. Just because something is
printed in a book, does not mean that it is 100% true, or accurate in
all cases.

My hat's off to Vinnie for trying to at least swing the discussions
back to radio related topics, as opposed to the sniping and bickering
over politics and who's gay.

Dave
"Sandbagger"
http://home.ptd.net/~n3cvj