Old April 7th 05, 11:54 PM
Vinnie S.

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 11:34:01 -0700, Big Kahuna wrote:

Greets.

I drive across country twice a year in an '02 Toyota Camry. I was
thinking that this time (next month), it might be fun to get a CB for
the trip.

I've been away from radio for ~20 years so I have no clue on current
gear. I don't want an expensive, in-dash installation. But I don't
want a junker portable either. And what's the best solution for an
antenna these days (I know that makes a *huge* difference in
performance)? Roof magnetic? Trunk magnetic? Something else?
Obviously, I'd prefer not to have some rinky-dink thing that plugs into
the cig lighter, runs a wire through a permanently open window to a
badly matched (horrible SWR) magnetic roof mount and gets horrible
reception, etc.

Suggestions appreciated.

de N6OEF

Roof magnetic is ideal, for temporary setups. I use it because I frequent
parking garages, and need to remove it. Also, my car is a company lease vehicle,
and I really can't drill holes. Uniden make some nice CBs, if you just want to
use channel 19. Get a hump mount with a speaker.

As far as the antenna, both the K40 and Wilson 1000 are excellent for
magnetmounts, if you plan to go barefoot. I got the same results with both. The
Wilson handles power better. Anything close to 100 watts or more, go with the
Wilson. Both come with permanent mounts, if you plan on drilling.

Vinnie S.