Old April 8th 05, 04:51 PM
David

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:12:55 -0700, Howard
wrote:

As others have pointed
out, we have a way to go in regard to how we implement cargo
inspection - one thing is certain though; citizens would be awefully
riled up at the increase in cost to implement tighter inspection given
our current volume of shipping and available technology & manpower.
Perhaps we should employ the unemployed to perform physical inspection
of container cargo? Now that would be a truly good use of the idle
workforce while improving security.

Well, enough said on this topic for me, time to move on to other
things.

Howard

It is estimated that the cost to inspect every container at its port
of origin is in the low $10s of billions. 9-11 cost over $100
billion in direct economic damage (not counting the Homeland
Security/War on Terror reaming we're currently enduring).