Old April 9th 05, 10:35 PM
Michael A. Terrell

Greg wrote:

Yes, I did forget the link:
http://www.innovatronix.com/cgi-bin/...alog/index.asp

These inverters are meant to power photo strobes and apparently are powered
from a car battery, though they don't specifically say so.

I guess the strobes need an especially clean electrical source.

I'm not interested necessarily in the inverters but I was curious about sine
wave vs switching power supplies. I guess a switching supply, powered from
household AC, would be sufficient to power 12VDC radios?

Greg

Some are and some aren't. They work OK if they are designed for low
noise but the price isn't the best indicator. The 700/ 1600/1620 series
Telemetry recievers we built at Microdyne went through a number of pwer
supply vendors because of noise and reliability problems. We went
through a whole series of tests on each sample power supply, selected
the best and pratyed they didn't change the design before we had a
replacment supplier ligned up. These were in the $700 to $1000 dollar
range for just the power supplies.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell