Old October 16th 03, 06:34 PM
Mike Knudsen

In article , David Stinson
writes:

have one hour-long segment on CD centered on 3932 KC.
It contains seven separate, distinct and interesting SSB QSOs
that I can listen to at my leisure, plus many other stations.

I figure that you could get at most a 40KC wide band segment on a CD for one
hour. Is that right? As a demo of the concept, that isn't bad at all.

And a lot of us military radio people think having a
nation-wide net of WWII BC-611 handie-talkies,
all able to talk to each other in real time, would be an absolute gas.

True. But I haven't yet figured out how the *transmit* side of this would
work.
If you can put up a transmitting antenna, then you could transmit normally thru
it, and your antenna changeover relay would select the Virtual antenna for
receive.

But the walkie-talkies wouldn't be that flexible, and you've noted the physical
and legal problems with putting up any antenna, let alone transmitting.

Would your Virtual terminal include a receiver that samples the output of your
(real) transmitter, (fed into a dummy load?), and digitize that and add it into
the Spectrum that everyone else receives?

Other than dynamic range and bandwidth practical limits, I think your idea has
merit. At least it doesn't belong in the April issue. 73, Mike K. AA1UK

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.