Old April 10th 05, 10:34 AM
Chara Banc

On 9 Apr 2005 19:34:13 -0700, wrote:

I'm trying to find the location of a low frequency mavigation beacon.
Two techniques come to mind.

1) Using the null of a loop antenna, find a vector to the beacon using
a compass.

2) Again from various locations, find the direction of the unknown
beacon and a known beacon (about 40 miles apart). Use a turntable of
sorts to find the number of degrees between the known and unknown
beacon.

Throw into the mix one more reference. It should be possible to find a
spot where both beacons null at the same time.

Comments, besides get a life?

Sounds like an interesting project. Why not use all three techniques
together? After all, you are trying to locate something as accurately
as you can - all the data you collect is relevant to solving the
problem.

The poistion polygon that you will determine used to be known as a
'cocked hat' - the smaller it is, the better your determination. There
used to be an expression "I knocked him into a cocked hat', meaning
that you had negated someone's argument. Good luck.