Old August 31st 03, 05:32 AM
Tarmo Tammaru

"Dr. Slick" wrote in message
om...
However, they don't explain why a lossy line can INCREASE the
reflected power! The lossless line would not attenuate the reflected
wave at all!

They make a pont of the fact that they are *not* violating the concept of
conservation of energy

They also mention that the normalized load impedance Zn=Zr/Zo does
NOT have the same angle as Zr because Zo is complex in the general
case. This may or may not make their example moot.

I don't see the problem. 100 /_30 degrees divided by 2/_5 degrees is 50/_15
degrees. Different phase angle. By general case they mean not the lossless
case.

And i don't trust their Smith Chart extended out to 1+sqrt(2) for
a dissipative line. Maybe for an active network, but not a passive
one.

No idea. Never had to extend a Smith chart

Also, they go from equation 5.12 to 5.13 without showing us how
they got there.

They use the identity e**jx = cos x + jsin x

Perhaps they just copied it out of another book and
used the formula incorrectly.

I don't think a technical textbook is supposed to introduce new concepts
unless they are labeled as such

Certainly text books can disagree, just as the "experts" often do.

Maybe this book is hard to find because it's out of print because
nobody trusted it.

Slick

As I said out front. The book is copyrighted 1960. There is a certain life
to these things.

Tam