Old April 11th 05, 06:18 PM
Bob Miller

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:11:37 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

Bob:
You are living in the past my friend!
1) It costs nothing to make works available to the gutenberg project.
2) There are other endeavors, such as gutenberg (some colleges request help
in obtaining materials, Virginia is only one)...
3) There are excellent peer-to-peer filesharing networks (Take a look at
Winmx--it guarantees no spyware or malware in the app)
4) IRC allows direct DCC SENDS of data from one chatter to another. (this
begs for someone to set up an amateur chat room anyway--MIRC is an excellent
IRC chat client.)
5) There are free Web Hosting ISP's on which you can host data, files,
etc.--all you need to know is HTML markup language and an FTP client (ask
your kids/grandkids--they can set it up for you--if not, I will give some
assistance.)
6) Ebooks can be emailed and shared.
7) etc., etc., etc.
The only excuse of why not to is ignorance and lazyness...

Regards,
John

I'm sure all of the above exists, but it sounds like you are basically
for people working for free and not being compensated for their labor.
I'm about as damned-liberal as anybody on this group, but I believe
people who create intellectual property should be paid for it, and if
they want their kids and grandkids to benefit, so be it, and any
deadbeats outside the family who want to glom on to it for free, to
heck with 'em.

There are way too many folks who want free music, free film, free
books, free everything -- but if we stop compensating people who
create intellectual property, it will simply stop being created.

bob
k5qwg