Old April 12th 05, 06:28 AM
Dick

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 03:18:40 GMT, Bob Miller
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 17:28:46 -0700, Dick LeadWinger wrote:

If you did, one of you had a fixed antenna, like a beam or quad. Or
one of you was on a hill. Did you have exactly the same conditions on
both ends? Same locations, similar antennas, etc.? I.E. if there was
a beam on one end for CB, was there a similar gain beam on 2-meters?
I have used CB from all kinds of vehicles since it was originally
authorized, and 2-meters since it had commercially available equipment
(over 50 years) and I have never seen a situation where an unmodified
CB could under similar conditions outdo 2-meters. Unless we are
talking about skip of course, and there would be no skip between
Tigard and Phoenix. Typically, you are lucky if you can get 5 miles
mobile to mobile with stock CB's.

It's been awhile, but on the highway, I seem to recall about 3, 4,
maybe 5 miles, max, with my old Rat-shack 5-watt AM CB rig, on flat
mid-Texas plains.

When I tune the local simplex frequency on 2-meter FM, I hear guys all
over a city of a million folks talking with decent strength.

bob
k5qwg

I agree completely. And I see I should have said between Tigard and
Portland, not Phoenix. Must be because I live in Arizona. :-)

Dick - W6CCD