Old April 12th 05, 06:54 AM
Brenda Ann

"Dick" LeadWinger wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 03:18:40 GMT, Bob Miller
wrote:

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 17:28:46 -0700, Dick LeadWinger wrote:

If you did, one of you had a fixed antenna, like a beam or quad. Or
one of you was on a hill. Did you have exactly the same conditions on
both ends? Same locations, similar antennas, etc.? I.E. if there was
a beam on one end for CB, was there a similar gain beam on 2-meters?
I have used CB from all kinds of vehicles since it was originally
authorized, and 2-meters since it had commercially available equipment
(over 50 years) and I have never seen a situation where an unmodified
CB could under similar conditions outdo 2-meters. Unless we are
talking about skip of course, and there would be no skip between
Tigard and Phoenix. Typically, you are lucky if you can get 5 miles
mobile to mobile with stock CB's.

It's been awhile, but on the highway, I seem to recall about 3, 4,
maybe 5 miles, max, with my old Rat-shack 5-watt AM CB rig, on flat
mid-Texas plains.

When I tune the local simplex frequency on 2-meter FM, I hear guys all
over a city of a million folks talking with decent strength.

bob
k5qwg

I agree completely. And I see I should have said between Tigard and
Portland, not Phoenix. Must be because I live in Arizona. :-)

Dick - W6CCD

Well see, now.. that's the problem.. y'all are flatlanders.

Yes, most any amount of power on VHF will go for astounding distances (I've
talked with 4 watts from Salem to a repeater on the WA side of the Columbia
River, about 60 miles distant) over flat land or to a high point. Problem
is, Oregon doesn't have a lot of flat land, especially the Portland area.
Hell, we have an extinct volcano right there in town, plus several other
hills, including the west hills between Portland and Tigard (about 14
miles). To talk simplex with my friend over in Tigard on 2m, I had to use a
beam and bounce my signal off a commercial radio tower on top of Healey
Heights.