Old April 12th 05, 07:04 PM
Dave Platt

In article , Cecil Moore wrote:

I was at work (GED teacher) the other day and wanted to
gin up an Excel program for converting series impedances
to parallel impedances and vice versa. I wanted to verify
my memory on those equations. I spent two hours trying to
find them on the web and never did. That search was not
pleasant. 99.9% of series to parallel stuff on the web
is digital.

The easiest way I found to figure this out, is to start from the
basic Ohm's Law formula for two impedances in parallel:

Zt = (Z1)(Z2) / (Z1 + Z2)

Let Z1 be a purely real impedance (Rp + j0) and Z2 be a purely
imaginary impedance (0 + jXp) and calculate from there.

It was a fun bit of scratchpad-and-pencil-in-the-afternoon to start at
Ohm's Law, and end up with a pretty decent understanding of how L- and
T-match antenna tuners (transmatches for the purist) actually do what
they do.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO