Old April 13th 05, 04:43 AM
John Smith

Richard:

In the back of my mind I am picturing a library of collected works with
expired copyright/public domain/orphaned works...
Something akin to the gutenberg project, but not on such a large scale; but,
a technical library is what I imagine...
Surely there are more than just me which can see such a tool as a noble and
just cause.

Companies, corps, etc. I have worked for usually have a policy and make
known basic facts about "fair use" and how you can duplicate limited
portions as an aid to ones' own speechs, documents, study materials,
etc.--when giving the author(s) full credit...
I wish I had paid more attention, I tend to just digest material and
"reguritate" it in my own words and suppling my own pictures, charts,
diagrams, etc.-- that itself is so easy--why bother stealing anothers words?

However, a library of expired copyrights is really a tribute to the
individual(s) who have created the work(s), and is an important effort at
passing on learning, knowledge and wisdom--as such, its' very nature stands
alone as nobel cause...

Regards,
John

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:51:30 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

Anyone here with more information, or who can correct my mistaken
conclusion(s)?

Hi Brett,

Read up on "Fair Use." Wholesale reproduction is not going to market
anywhere where it won't be perceived as just that. Further, it can't
economically compete with the used book trade in the marketplace.

Beyond that, extensive quotations for the purpose of bolstering
arguments or illustrating concepts will only act as a soporific.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC