Old April 14th 05, 06:39 AM
Mara

I've just recently begun reading about the history of radio,
particularly amateur radio-- mostly web articles so far--and I've
noticed some conflicting dates for Frank Conrad's broadcasts. Did he
begin them in 1916, then continue them after the war? I've read on two
different sites that he first directed his microphone to the phonograph
in autumn 1919. Even in a single letter posted in a column, someone
states at the beginning of the letter that Mr. Conrad began
broadcasting in 1916, then later in the letter states he began in 1919.
I was wondering which was correct. I'm also curious about radios
themselves in 1919-1920. From what I've read, people were still using
primarily headsets (or exclusively headsets?) to listen in; I couldn't
pinpoint just when it was that speakers were first in use. Was that
after the first sales of sets to the general public? I was wondering if
the hams were using headphones or speakers. Actually I'm wondering
quite a lot of things, since I'm still in the beginning of reading
about all this. I love the earlyradiohistory.us site and wish it
had more to it. Can anyone direct me to any sites that have more
historical information with more detail, such as particular dates when
speakers came into use and how these early sets were put together and
how they worked (I've read a little general information about that but
my mind hasn't wrapped around all the tech jargon just
yet...frequencies and oscillators and vacuum tubes and couplings and
all. Science isn't my strong subject. I could use a site or book that
explains it on the level of a ten year old; that I could probably
understand g). I've also been looking for sites with personal
stories of early radio but haven't found any that go quite back to
1919. Thanks for any information anyone can offer. I really do
appreciate it.