Old April 14th 05, 05:36 AM
Landshark

"Paul Calman" wrote in message
Hi. I have a cb unit mounted on a motorcycle. it is a J&M, linked here,
http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=24 , using the 3 foot Wilson
antenna on the page.
It's a pretty decent unit (kinda expensive, mine came with another bike)
and can be operated without looking at it, a good thing on a bike. I use
it to talk with other riders, but the maker says about 1/2 mile is all the
range I should get. On a straight piece of road it gets tough to use at 1
mile.
The reason I am told is that the bike has no ground plane, but I don't
know whether that affects reception or transmission. What's the story
here?

Not much, that's part of the problem, length of the antenna is the other.
You sure as hell can't throw a larger antenna, it would look totally
stupid.

I know Linear amps are a no-no, but I don't intend on doing skip, using it
often, or even talking much to base stations and truckers, and certainly
don't want to run some giant power unit that stomps on others
transmissions, but would be interested in using a small linear to boost
transmission to a max range of about ten miles, an acceptable distance
when traveling cross country with other bikes.

Not going to happen, your bike alt sys couldn't handle much more than
what you are already running, so the box is out. Also, the problem
with your theory is that, even the other bikes would have to have boxes,
otherwise they could hear you, but you couldn't hear them.

Can any of you recommend what wattage would be sufficient for this use
without going overboard? Some of the problems to be dealt with are a
limited charging system, the inability to space wires far from current and
ignition units, and physical size. I would prefer to build my own unit,
rather that pay big bucks for garbage made in china. I have seen
schematics for sale for 30, 50, and 100 watt units. Know of any free
sources?

Again, take your charging sys total output, now take all of the accessories
total amperage, add the amount of amps the box would draw and I would
suspect that your alt won't be able to handle it.

Here's a couple of links, there are dozens more that offer a wide
variety of products for your needs.

http://street-bikes.ridegear.com/sto...nications.html

http://www.autocomamerica.com/docs/home.cfm

Other that a lecture on the illegality of linears, Do you have any useful
advice?

--
Paul C.

Landshark

--
Any day riding, is better than
being a newsgroupie

73 Baja Stroppe Bronco
98 Buell S3 Thunderbolt
99 Ford F-150 Supercab 4X4 (antenna platform)