Old April 14th 05, 04:17 AM
rchrdprss

Default Laser Hot Hits prate station

I was looking through the ILG shortwave frequency listing a while ago, and I found a pirate station called "Laser Hot Hits" at 6.220 MHz. It is indicated as having an output power of 300 watts and originating from Ireland. I am located in the hills on the central coast in California, and just for the heck of it I started monitoring this frequency.

I only listen in the evenings between maybe 7:00 and maybe 10:00 PM, but not every night. Every once in a while I hear just a whisper of what sounds like music. Mostly all I hear is static. I also hear a little bit of what sounds like CW, but this is not a ham band. It is on the 45M marine band, so maybe it is coming from some local boat-ham as I am only 8 miles from the coast, but I have no idea about that.

I travel a lot for work and I brought my Sony SW07 and its amplified antenna with me on my last trip to the east coast a couple of weeks ago. I was in Orlando for the better part of a week. I monitored from the hotel room during the evening and I found nothing but noise. This is no great surprise as I was in a metal framed building with metal coated windows. The Sony is a really good travel radio though and I use it a lot.

My set up at home is an ICOM R75 with ~150ft random length wire antenna. I also use a TenTec RX 320 with a 60 ft sloper as well as the Sony. SW listening conditions here on the west coast are usually quite poor. I have better results for general SW listening with the Sony when I travel to the mid-west or east coast than I have at home. Go figure..

Has anyone caught this station? Do I need to go to Ireland to find it? I keep thinking that 300 watts from Ireland is quite a hop considering where I am. Maybe it's ok on the east coast and with proper listening configurations. Also, when I do an internet search all I find is really old information. Can anyone provide up to date information about this station?