Old April 14th 05, 01:13 PM
Brian Hill

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
THe new Heil Clear Speech arrived; save your money, it's a piece of junk.

Audio levels all wrong (no output power), produces feedback under
circumstances where it should not, apparently unshielded, audio seems
distorted even when bypassed. I would not be surprised if the unit
were defective, but I fear it is not.

Its noise reduction amount is offered in steps; these seem okay
(factoring out the distortion) though all steps are less noise
reduction than the Am-com Inc units offered as its single step.

``Bypass'' doesn't bypass the unit; and you lose the bass response,
and no audio through if the unit isn't powered. It shares this fault
with the original Am-com unit, though the Am-comII remedied it by
changing the function of its single switch to actually bypass the unit
when it powered it off. (Cost was that the unit started cold when
you switched it in.)

Physically, I can't figure out how you're supposed to mount the thing;
they have one idea in mind but I don't know what it is.

So anyway, it's a large odd shaped piece of plastic that doesn't work.
If you liked the Am-com version of Clear Speech, you'll hate this.

Maybe somebody else will pick up the Clear Speech algorithm and do it
right. It's great for noise reduction; I have three of the Am-com
base units around the house, and had high hopes here.

--
Ron Hardin

Hi Ron. Sounds like you may have some stray RF in your shack. Also try
running its power independent from that of your radio?

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

EMAIL-