Old April 14th 05, 02:32 PM
Pete KE9OA

Thanks Lucky!

Pete

"Lucky" wrote in message

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
I picked up this receiver today. Some fellow traded it even up with a
friend of mine for an R4C. I traded a Takahashi FS-78 Flourite refractor
for it. If the JRC unit was working properly, it would have been a good
deal, but I thought, "what the heck?"
When I put it on my test bench, it could barely hear a 60% modulated 10uV
signal...........not good.
I did download a schematic from a Dutch website and saw that the 1st
mixer uses U310 JFETs. No big deal, right?
When I removed the shield from the mixer assembly, I discovered that
instead of the U310s, a Siliconix E431 dual JFET is used. This is a very
high IP3 mixer, capable of +20 to +30dBm in a properly designed circuit.
I bought a batch of them several years ago from, you guessed
it....................the Rockwell-Collins surplus store.
I replaced the defective component and now the receiver is hearing
signals all the way down to .1uV, which is typical of any of the modern
day receivers that use this topology.
I have been looking for one of these receivers for a few years; it's
ironic that about the only way that you can get ahold of them is if they
are in need of repair. It wasn't too bad..........about an hour or so for
the repair.
Now I see why people don't want to sell these receivers. Good
quality......................even the roofing filter appears to be a 6 or
8-pole unit. This one's a keeper!

Pete

Pete works miracles again.
Magic hands...!