Old April 14th 05, 08:30 PM
Dave Platt

In article .com,
wrote:

So you see my concern about having a 1KW RF source in proximity to all
the
other antennas. Any other kilowatters out there with some experience or
advice to share?

I've wondered the same, and have in fact heard of people
frying the front ends of radios from that...But I think it depends
on the radio, the difference in freq's, etc...

I just read an article in the ARRL Antenna Compendium #3 by a guy who
used to live (and work HF) on the grounds of a big AM/shortwave
broadcasting farm in Quito. The RF field strengths were several times
what the FCC now allows for human exposure.

He had some serious RFI problems. One amateur near him put up a
20-meter quad, hooked it up, and smoke came out of the receiver... it
burned the coils. He put up a 40-meter dipole, and found that it
could light up a 100-watt bulb!

His article has a number of suggestions for people suffering
high-energy RFI problems... might be worth your reading.

For the situation where the high-power source and the vulnerable
equipment are on greatly different bands (e.g. kilowatt HF and a
2-meter antenna) I think you're at substantially lower risk. It might
be worth your while to gin up a simple high-pass filter for the
two-meter gear. A quickie approach would be to buy a commercial
2-meter/HF diplexor, and leave the HF side unconnected (or terminate
it in a 50-ohm dummy load). Maybe add some ferrite chokes to your
2-meter feedline, just to discourage it from acting as an HF antenna
and bringing RF back into the shack on its braid.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO