Old April 14th 05, 06:08 PM
Bill Crocker

"Mark" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:23:14 -0400, "Bill Crocker"
wrote:

Normally, I don't like to take part in spreading unsubstantiated panic,
but
I'm inclined to agree with you on this one. When I had a Radio Shack
(GRE),
PRO-96, and was monitoring the Michigan State Police, they did in fact
invoke encryption on numerous occasions. I have to believe they will be
doing this anytime they are discussing sensitive information. Pretty much
everything that was in the clear, was daily, boring, routine stuff.

I don't see why they bother to manually switch back to non encrypted.
Just
leave it there. Why are they actually making an effort to NOT encrypt?

It will all depend on how some lawsuit ends up as far as whether the
public
as a right to listen to public official communications.

Most likely, they don't have the encryption option in all their radios. Not
sure with the newer radios, if it's still done with a hardware module, or if
it's all software now. But I'm sure Motorola isn't giving it away. You see
a lot of older Motorola Saber radios on eBay. The ones that have the
encryption module, command more money. Originally, that module was very
expensive!

Bill Crocker