Old October 19th 03, 08:23 PM
Mike Knudsen

In article , "BFoelsch"
writes:

For testing boatanchor-era caps, I would strongly suggest that you get one
of the same-era capacitor bridges that let you test with real voltage
applied. I like the Heath, but I have also used the Sprague and I am sure
many others are just as good.

I use the venerable Eico 950A bridge and leakage tester. You can dial up any
voltage up to around 500 and observe leakage on the magic eye tube; for
'lytics, a neon bulb in series is subbed for the eye tube. Once you charge the
cap up to rated voltage, the eye or bulb should show nothing.

Great for reforming lytics too. And the bridge is pretty accurate for
measurements.

But still, before cutting one end loose to check it, I find it worthwhile to
check grid and screen voltages in a radio to see if a cap is really leaking
enough to throw things off. --Mike K.

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.