Old April 16th 05, 02:20 AM
Don Del Grande

David wrote:

The Resurrection of Voodoo Economics

M.W. Guzy is a retired police detective who teaches criminology at the
University of Missouri, St. Louis.
Understanding that simple fact suggests that the surest way to
stimulate economic growth is to give consumers more money to spend --
demand-side economics, if you will. Unfortunately, that humble notion
fails to justify huge windfalls for the country club set and will thus
attract few proponents in the current political climate.

Not at all. The problem is, how do you give money back to the
consumers without lowering taxes across the board - which, the last
time it happened, led to cries of "a new Lexus for the rich, and a new
muffler for your old car for the rest of us"? Pretty much by
definition, all "tax cuts" favor the wealthy.
(I'd like to say that the Democrats' plan for "saving social security"
is to wait until the well is pretty much dry and then tax the rich,
but I can't because the PPOR (Post Proof or Retract) types seem to run
Usenet now (along with the "The 9/11 Pentagon 'crash' was caused by
two people playing something called 'hat putato' at someplace called
'boiiiiiger king'" types) and I can't remember where I heard it.)

-- Don