Old April 17th 05, 01:44 AM

=A7 Dr. Artaud =A7 wrote:
----------------
If anyone knows for sure, will there be ways for the broadcasters to
code broadcasts so that the material may not be recorded in a digital
format
by the general public?
-------------------------
Yes.
DRM
Digital Rights Management.
C-Span has beenrunnng a long series on what DRM will really mean.
In short, it grants/preserves the creator of "anything" the right to
control distribution and use.
As a funny example, a certain local hospital is using MS latest mail
system. A high level manage suite sent a memo to "all staff" by
accident. Management was able to remove this Eamil from all users
PCs. If you didn't print it, it no longer existed. It had to do with an
attempt to greatly reduce employeer contribuiton to retirement and
health insurance. They almost pulled it off, but a few people printed
it
before it vanished.
And that is a sad/funny story in itself. They fired teh clown who sent
the
memo and had to back down from the reducitons.

Another friend downloaded some songs from Apple, I think. He couldn't
upload the songs from a CD/DVD that he created to his Ipod( or maybe
Rio) harddrive based MP3 player. He brought it over to my PC, a
ancient
Dell 866PIII runng @in98SE without IE and my PC doesn't have MS
Media Player. I had no trouble uplading it from my PC to his MP3
player.
But I have been warned that very soon that new DRM media will not
be accesable on my PC unless I upgrade to Media Player 9.x.

The latest version of software for my Chiba will not load on my 98SE or

ME PCs. I am informed I need to updgrade to XP. That will be a cold day

in HELL.

LongHorn, the new and greater MS OS, has much better DRM control
built in. I suspect the new version of OSX has "enhanced" DRM control.
HDTV will have a bit to allow or disallow recording.

But the smart boys in the dark backrooms are working overtime for
cracks
to defeat the DRM BS. You will be able to listen/watch anything you
want,=20
but will become a criminal.=20

Terry