Old April 17th 05, 02:27 PM
cl

wrote in message
oups.com...

Mel A. Nomah wrote:
"Hamguy" wrote in message

: http://www.hamwave.com/cgi-bin/index...iewnews&id=689

That link supposes that the fcc will delete the Morse requirement.

Other insiders suggest fcc will NPRM will delete Morse only for

General
license, and will INCREASE the test to 20WPM for renewed Extra class,
downgrading all current "Extra Lite" licenses to resurrected Advanced
license (the second time this license has risen from the ashes).

ARRL
giveaway program will be denied.

All it really says is that the FCC is working on an NPRM that may be
out as soon as next month or as late as July. That NPRM will obviously
contain what FCC wants to do as a result of WRC 2003 and the 18
restructuring petitions.

Once the NPRM becomes public, there will be a comment period, then a
reply comment period. Couple of months at least, maybe longer. Probably
the end of 2005 before comments close.

Then FCC will decide what to do and formulate a Report and Order. Last
time they did this it took almost a year. Which translates to fall
2006. Then a couple months before the new rules become effective -
maybe end of 2006.

Of course it could take even longer, or maybe a bit less. But I
wouldn't expect any changes before summer 2006 - and wouldn't be
surprised if it were summer 2007.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Those who defy wanting to learn the code jump at any chance to perpetuate
rumors of code being eliminated. You're right, it will take a while, even if
they were to decide to write a NPRM to do such. If these people jumped into
Alligator infested waters as fast as they do rumors, the population would
take a sudden drop. I'm not a "lover" of code, but I have hold a license
which required code. 5 WPM is not impossible to learn. It only takes a few
minutes a day and about 2 weeks at least to get enough to pass a test. 2
weeks is not long, you probably drove longer on a permit before being
allowed to drive on your own. Probably studied the book longer too! It takes
little effort. The biggest problem with most is "laziness". Maybe you never
will use it again. There are many things you learn in life and may never use
again, unless you plan to play on Jeopardy. Many people learned the skeletal
system in health class, microorganisms in Biology class. It doesn't mean
they use it now. Probably forgot it as soon as they graduated. But, it was
"required". It's not a big deal people. Once you get past the "do I have to"
and start doing it, you'll amaze yourself at how fast and easy it can be. I
DO use code now and then, but not daily like many others do. Everyone has
their own thing. Some are into Packet, RTTY, AMTOR, etc, I'm not... To each
his own. But we all had to learn "something" about those modes to pass an
exam.

cl